Episode 16: June 2022 - Reflections of a Successful Concept Graduate with Kandann Coleman
About Our Guest
Born the daughter of an African-American father and a Jewish, Puerto Rican mother, Kandann is an Ohio native, born and raised, although currently residing in Washington, D.C.
With a background in labor, advocacy, and political entertainment, she uses her interest in culture and civil rights to lobby state governments in the South to pass Gun Violence Prevention policy to reduce gun violence across the nation as the Associate Regional Director of State Government Affairs at Everytown for Gun Safety.
Academically, she is a Ronald E. McNair Postbaccalaureate Scholar, holds a Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy, Politics, Economics, and Law (PPEL) from Bowling Green State University, and a Masters in History specializing in Diplomacy and Foreign Affairs.
She is a sister of Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Incorporated and has served as the Alumni Relations Advisor for several years while maintaining involvement as a donor with the sorority’s Education Foundation as well.
Her professional experience includes:
- Multicultural Program Assistant, Bowling Green State University, Office of Multicultural Affairs
- Community, Pro-Bono and Membership Development Assistant, Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- Community and Constituent Communications Intern, Ohio Legislative Black Caucus
- Legislative Aide, Ohio House of Representatives, Office of the Minority Leader
- State and Local Campaigns Coordinator, The Collective PAC
Other involvements include membership in the Women in Entertainment Empowerment (WEEN) network, Speechwriters of Color, and BGSU’s Black Alumni Council.