|The College Symposium welcoming address in the auditorium at East-West University.||
Dr. Khan gave the keynote address.
Breakout sessions at the symposium were as follows:
- First-Year Transition by Daniel Brumbach, Transition Coach for the UIC Office of First-Year Initiatives
- Paying for School (FAFSA, State/Federal Aid, etc.) by Abel Montoya, Director of Outreach Operations at Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC)
- Time Management and Study Habits by Kenneth Gaines, Program Director of Department of Business Administration at East West University
- Financial Independence by Mike Kwon, Principal and Fiduciary Advisor at Steward Advisors
- Exploring Majors/Careers by Jon Rosenfield, Associate Director of Career Development Advising + Education at Loyola University
- College Alternatives: ICATT Apprenticeship by Ian Duncan, Program Manager/Applicant Outreach for ICATT Apprenticeship
- EYE Project by Cesar Campos, Director of Financial Aid for East West University
There was also a panel with Concept graduates, Tayyaba Hanif and Precious Taiwo, who are now attending UIC and Truman College respectively and participating in Future Institute’s main transition-focused program called the Future Leaders Initiative (FLI). The Undocumented Student Resources session by Luis Narvaez, EL Postsecondary Manager at Chicago Public Schools’ Office Of Language and Cultural Education was cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances.
Future Institute will host the Career Symposium focused on career preparation for the same students in March 2020.